The Lauderdale House was built about 1858 by James Shelby Lauderdale (1812-1908) when he settled near Long Point in Washington County. The house's imposing pediment porch reflected the filtering of Classical Revival architecture into the area. Ima Hogg purchased the house in 1963 and moved it to Winedale before its original location was flooded to create Lake Somerville. The Lauderdale House served as a residence for visiting artists and scholars until it was destroyed by an electrical fire in 1981. Debris from the fire was buried in a mound between the two chimneys.
winedaleuniversity of texaslauderdale housefayette countywashington county